Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Fascination with FONDANT

Fondant is made from sugar syrup with water, sugar and glucose/corn syrup. The corn syrup serves to prevent the fondant from crystallising during storage. Fondant is one of the most common type of icing that is used to "ice" from simple cookies or cupcakes to amazing wedding cakes. Fondant is so versatile that you can even use it for sculpturing of figurines or odd-shaped cakes.

My fascination with fondant first started when I came across a reality show programme , "The Ultimate Cake Off". Looking at the bakers creating art with cake just awed me so much that I too wanted to give cake decorating a try.

Do check out the following videos that I've uploaded to give you a brief idea of what
"The Ultimate Cake Off" is all about and a basic video on icing cakes with fondant. ENJOY!!!


Belinda Gregor, specialty cakes designer at Ettore's European Bakery and Restaurant shows Gwen Schoen how to add and decorate a fondant cake. This is a great skill for pastry chefs, cake decorators and over-achiever moms alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment